Branching out
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Branching out

"Join Twisted Tree's addiction recovery forum—a supportive online community embracing healing, growth, and sobriety. Connect, share, and find hope together.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

relationships and communication

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

relationships and communication Empty
PostSubject: relationships and communication   relationships and communication EmptySun Nov 12, 2023 5:59 pm

let's have a discussion on building healthy relationships, resolving conflicts, effective communication skills, and support for individuals navigating relationship challenges in their recovery journey.
Back to top Go down
https://twistedtreecommunity.forumotion.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: relationships and communication   relationships and communication EmptySat Dec 02, 2023 3:52 pm

We listen to react, not to hear... Shocked
Being a good communicator is about how well you're able to listen. A good listener wants to hear what you're saying, so their response has focus and purpose. Hearing is physiological and only uses the ears, while listening is psychological and requires the use of the brain to interpret the message. Wink Listening is a skill that requires one to use senses, including seeing, hearing, and the sense of touch. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://twistedtreecommunity.forumotion.com
sobersoul

PostSubject: Re: relationships and communication   relationships and communication EmptyMon Dec 04, 2023 4:31 am

Communicating is hard for me sometimes. I seem to have all these emotions and I don't really know what it is that I'm feeling and when I'm confronted with conflict I seem to always respond with anger. Any suggestions on ways I can improve my communication skills?
Back to top Go down
JD
Admin
JD

PostSubject: Re: relationships and communication   relationships and communication EmptyMon Dec 04, 2023 3:05 pm

If it's hard "sometimes" your doing great! - So how do we control our emotions while engaged in conversation: I like to start by taking a deep breath and focus on my body (shoulders pinned against ears, heart rate, etc.). I acknowledge my feelings but I don't let them define me "let it go Loui, let it go". I remind myself that we are all human beings just trying to figure it out, so I don't take everything as a personal attack...

Emotional Barriers: When we listen to respond and depending on the circumstance, one of our natural reactions/emotions to surface is our "fight/flight" defense. Our minds aren’t particularly good at discerning between perceived threats presented in conversation, or being chased down by a bear affraid. If we listen to hear, we can be more open minded, ask questions and provide positive feedback.

Improve communication skills: Listen Listen, Listen... Be more aware of non-verbal cues (tone, eye contact, facial expressions, and hand gestures), have empathy "we all human beings first", engage more in the why, who, what, when and where (it's not about you and your ego Sad ).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: relationships and communication   relationships and communication Empty

Back to top Go down

relationships and communication
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Branching out :: Your first category :: Your first forum-
Jump to: